FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Another new member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another new member
    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 6:00am
G'day from Australia, I have just joined so thought I'd introduce myself and give a bit of my background and system.

I moved to Australia about 12 years ago but grew up in London. Although no longer my profession, after leaving school I completed my apprenticeship with Rolls Royce as an aircraft engineer, so I have an appreciation of quality engineering and being able to maintain and repair rather than throw away and replace.

I do like to tinker, but more on the mechanical side as I don't know much about electronics.

Like many I converted to the new medium of CD in the mid eighties and vinyl went by the wayside. I didn't bring any vinyl to Australia when I migrated, and have only really got back into it in the last few years. I have to say I am enjoying the music again.

In the last few years I have built and played with my system, moving from originally having an Rega RP1 to getting and modding a new P3. I also obtained a vintage Thorens TD 160 mk1, which I have completely renovated including building a new hardwood plinth and doing the "Chadwick mods". I did say I liked tinkering.

I didn't think much about amplification until a while ago when I looked to get a decent amplifier and actually went to audition a number. Fortunately there are a number of decent audio shops in Melbourne only a couple of hours from me. One of them set up their listening room with all of my exact equipment and switched out a number of amps. I was amazed at how much difference I could actually hear just by changing the amp.

Anyway, I have now got to the stage where I have been reading and considering my next 'upgrade'. Some might say that my TT's might be an obvious place to spend money, but I am actually quite happy with the two I have at this time.

So I am now considering a new phono stage as a possible upgrade, And I have been reading a lot about GS hence my joining here. 

So my current system:

On my P3 I use an Ortofon 2M Bronze, I currently run this into a Rega fono mkII into a Rega Elex-R driving a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 500 speakers.

On the TD 160 I have a Denon DL-110, which I connect directly to the Elex-R phono input.

Anyway, that's me, looking forward to learning more.

Cheers 
Derek

Edited by DT999 - 08 Jan 2020 at 6:02am
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:31am
Hi Derek & welcome to the forum,
If you believe some of the comedians on the internet, an amp is an amp & has little bearing on SQ.
A trial of some alternatives is well worth it.Smile

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
Thanks for the welcome Rich, I have to say the demo I had certainly opened my ears to the difference an amp makes, now I have to find out what difference a phono preamp will make Smile
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm
Hi Derek,
You're probably aware of the loan scheme that runs in Australia to allow you try GSP kit in your system
for a couple of weeks. 
FWIW I owned & was very happy with an Era Gold V for many years followed by a then top-of-the-range ReflexM which brought immediately noticeable extra clarity & resolution.
The Accession takes it further still but I still own & enjoy the ReflexM.
Try & get the chance to audition a fewThumbs Up

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 1:05am
Hi Derek,
  I’ve compared the Fono directly with the Reflex M, and to my ears no contest. Organise a loan so you can hear it in your own system in your own home. I’m positive you’ll be impressed!
Welcome to the forum,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 5:47am
Rich, I did some research on the loan program in Australia, looks like it is from another audio shop in Melbourne. Now I just have to arrange a trial. 

I have to say one of the things that has impressed me even without hearing the equipment is the ability to free home demo. It speaks volumes about the belief in the product.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:02am
Hi Mick, thanks for the welcome.

Its good to know you have done a direct comparison, I have read your original write up of your experience with the Reflex M and it has certainly made me keen to try it out.

I have to say the Accession looks really good, but I just don't know that I would use the extra features or if the sound alone would justify a significant extra cost. If the Reflex is that good, I should be happy.

I will definitely try them before buying though.

Cheers 
Derek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic