FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Alternative power supply to psu1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
nait68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nait68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative power supply to psu1
    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 4:37pm
Good evening.
I have a 2 SE gram amp, which works wonderfully, equipped with its basic power supply. The economic demand for the psu1 is high and I wonder if there is a cheaper alternative waiting for better times to lead to the original psu1.
In truth I would have found on the market used a CREEK Audio OBH 2 which has the same electrical data as the PSU1: 24Vdc with 500mv instead of 200mv of the graham. (I don't think this is a problem).
what do you think?...... could be a valid up grade?
Are there any alternatives in the market that are superior to my basic power supply?
Regards

Giampaolo
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 6:22pm
Personally I'd be leery about using any third party product that is not designed to work with your GS phono stage. I bought the PSU-1 for my Reflex after using the wall wart for awhile. It's not cheap, but I look at it as an instance of "you get what you pay for". Those Creek power supplies, AFAIK, are made in China which is why they cost a lot less. 

Personally if you want an upgrade of some kind I'd suggest just saving for the PSU-1 or even moving to one of the higher range GS phono preamps (e.g. EGV, Reflex, etc.) and then getting the PSU-1 later. These units do come up on the used market from time to time also. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:31pm
Please keep saving up, later I think you'll be glad you did. The PSU1 is worth the extra money and 200mA is more than enough to power a couple of preamps and a headphone amp in my experience. I used my first PSU1 to power a Graham Slee Genera preamp and my Solo Ultralinear, then swapped the Genera for an Elevator EXP and Revelation M.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 10:52pm
The 200mA (official) rating was necessary because of the fuse rating, and the fuse rating was set so low to ensure the ABS case got no hotter than 60C in the worst possible failure scenario the KEMA Quality test lab could think of. It will do a lot more (it was designed to originally do 500mA) now it has a resettable thermal winding fuse, but to keep its certification, the 200mA plate rating stays. We've done similar tests on PRC power supplies and they go much higher in temperature, but are somehow given equivalent certification, using the same ABS.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
nait68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nait68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 9:40am
it is obvious that the synergy with your power supply is maximum I have not doubted it.
I believe those who have these hobbies can think of tests / experiments in addition to the pure pleasure of listening to their favorite music. The relevant answer I expected in this regard was provided by the coordinator, asserting that when the electrical measurements match, a connection can be made. do without breaking the pre phono and remaining in safe conditions (the one above all).
Then that the Creek OBH-2 is not at the level of the PSU1 ..... I know! But perhaps compared to my current power supply a jump forward I could do it
at a quarter of the cost.
The projects are born in Europe, most of the components
useful for their implementation come from the PRC.
Regards
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 10:06am
Perfectly alright to think out loud on here, but at the end of the day it's your decision.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
nait68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nait68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 10:19am
certainly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic