FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Alignment tools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 4:43pm
I suppose it would, but I only have to align my cartridge about once every year or so. It's more fun spending the money on a nice record or two then, these protractors always seemed rather unreasonably pricey and I don't trust the kind you print out yourself to be accurate enough to provide much more help than doing it by hearing alone, the Senn HD250 and Solo UL being great assets for this.

Edited by suede - 31 Aug 2013 at 7:39pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 6:56pm

If you only have 1 turntable checkout below, bit fiddly but quite accurate, check out the comments at the bottom.

It consists of clear sheet on a mirror for alignment.

http://www.mintlp.com/best.htm

I think Avid also no have a similar product 

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 7:01pm
I printed the Vinyl Engine one for my TT (Baerwald /Rega) on photo paper and the 3 point alignment worked well for me. Taken very carefully & using a strong magnifying glass to check - I have yet to find an LP where I notice any distortion (apart from older worn ones)

The 'torture' album tracks in my collection - Sunforest, Sound Of Sunforest "All In Good Time" & Los Lobos The Neighbourhood "Be Still" play without problem. A few with sibilance compare well where I also have a CD copy to check. It seems to be on the master tape so I am happy with my setup

If I had multiple TT's & carts I may invest in a protractor but as Johan says, I prefer to spend as much as possible on music itself

Edited by Drewan77 - 31 Aug 2013 at 7:02pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

If you only have 1 turntable checkout below, bit fiddly but quite accurate, check out the comments at the bottom.

It consists of clear sheet on a mirror for alignment.

http://www.mintlp.com/best.htm

I think Avid also no have a similar product 

Yes, Avid's is a universal alignment guide very similar to that best tractor.
It has a mirrored top surface, a hole to fit over the spindle and a line to point directly at the tonearm pivot.
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 11:45am
There's a new high end protractor, the SMARTractor" and it has an alternative alignment on offer UNI-DIN. Please read up if interested.

Personally I wanted something that locked down the pivot to spindle line and was fairly quick to use. I tried to work out how to use the Project protractor on another company's turntable but concluded it would be a fudge. The Dr Frieckert one offered Lofgren A and B but in the end I went for the Clearaudio with its different inner groove options.

It is a lot of more expensive than a paper protractor but it is much quicker. And I'm not balancing a piece of paper on top of an old LP whilst using Blu-tac to stop the platter rotating.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
oldagetraveller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldagetraveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 11:58am
I checked the alignment of the cartridge fitted to the PT/Nima using the Clearaudio instrument and it is spot on the 65mm radius point! Something which seems to be lacking on the Clearaudio device is a scribed line on the grid, in line with the cantilever and passing through the reference point. I don't like using the cartridge body to line up with the grid. With some cartridges it's virtually impossible anyway!
The pivot point on the Nima arm is easy to locate because there is a fine height adjustment for the uni-pivot bearing on top and in the centre . The pivot to spindle shows 222mm (Rocksan state 222.5mm). A half millimetre clearance in the mounting hole?
The cartridge was set up using Roksan's supplied protractor. It would appear, maybe, their null points coincide with the Clearaudio 65mm setting?
I'll check the Radius/Nima to see if that's the same. The Roksan protractor was used for that too.

Edited to correct the 225.5mm to 222.5mm.Confused

Edited by oldagetraveller - 01 Sep 2013 at 12:37pm
Peter

P T- LPT/RB300/G1042, Pink Triangle Tarantella/Nima/Ortofon 2M Black, SL1210II, Naim CD5, NAC112, NAP150, Flatcap2, Proac SC1, GS SoloUL,GS Accession , Senn HD250 & HD540.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 12:24pm
Thanks Peter. Interested to know what you find out comparing it to the OEM alignments.

I agree about the line for the cantilever as I also work on that rather than the casing.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic