FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Alignment Protractors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alignment Protractors
    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 4:04pm
I was sorting out my turntable tool box the other day and I found I have lost my alignment protractor I was using it just over a week ago but where I put it I don't know? It was only a card one. As anyone got ideas on one for under £50. I was reading up on it on the internet and now I'm confused, I like the ones with a mirror surface any Pros & cons with this?. there are a lot out there with people saying good and bad about them. I may have asked this question before but have stayed with the card one or just forgot about It (more Lazy than anything) It's coming up to Xmas and family are asking me what I want and I know I will use it so they wont be wasting their money

Jonathan 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:32am
I have used very successfully both the Mint protractor and the Wallytools mirrored protractors, both are recommended but may be over budget. Possibly they may be available used on  eBay?
Derek
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 11:00am
If you have access to a printer, I believe that you can print them off from somewhere like vinyl engine.

Edited by CageyH - 15 Nov 2020 at 11:01am
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 12:55pm
Hi All
thanks for the recommendations.
I was thinking of one with a mirror surface as I wear glasses and it can be hard to focus and sometimes I find it better looking down at the cart. I was also thinking of getting a magnifying glass on a stand to make it easier too (bloody eye sight)
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:48pm
Just a update.
A friend recommended the Hudson HiFi Mirrored protractor it's the one he has and said he finds it easy to use, he has the same problem as I do with eye sight. 
So I have put an order in for one and also a headband magnifier glass with LED light he also said to get as well, I am sure that will come in use full for other things too.
I'll let you know how I get on with both later.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:12pm
As long as the protractor is compatible* with your arm and cart, I think the limiting factor is how precisely you can use it. A magnifying lens (I use a linen magnifier from the front to judge needle on arc and cantilever being perpendicular), it helps me like another Jon above to focus my aging eyes on the stylus/cantilever and alignment grid. I also use a small LED torch that can be positioned to get clear light from the right angle.

*some arms are intended for Stevenson, some for Baerwald (etc.), and Lofgren, and some for proprietary null points. IMO using the intended arm alignment accurately gets better results. Some allow more flexibility e.g. I have used uni-din and liked it. So I think that as long as you do your chosen alignment well, that's fine.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 1:21pm
Thanks Jon for your advice.
As above I have just got my self a Protractor and headband magnifier with light, I am yet to use it as I need to get 3 AAA battery's. But I did a quick check with the protractor and the mirror surface may well help a lot all seem right but lets see with the magnifier glass when I get the battery's (had to be 3 AAAs I have 2)

Jonathan 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic