FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

AKG 702 and Solo UL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 3:26am

Jon,

I have a pair of K701, though my Solo is older than Miguels.

As I have noted elsewhere, it was a long, long time before I was happy with them.

If you are familiar with the sound of a cold cartridge before it warms up then that would be fairly close to how I heard the K701 for a long time.  Stiff, unrevealing of subtlety, truncating decay - as if the driver were stopping too soon and not allowing the flow and nuance to develop.

Well broken in now, they are no longer like that.  

IIRC, Francisco on here somewhere, is using K701 with the UL and more than happy.

I also recall a professional musician with whom I have conversed at times, stating that the K701 provided him with the closest thing to what he hears when performing.

I would expect the UL (as also the SRG & SRGII) to make the K701 more palatable from new than my "green" Solo which, while very nice with the easy load of ATH-W1000, really needed a good twist to bring much from the new K701.  It does much better with them nowadays.

jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 8:58am
UL is the best amp for my K701s, about 150-200 hours only on them.

Other amps tried - solo '06, Shanling ph100 (the next best for k701), Consonance Cyber 20, slee voyager, various mackie/behringer studio/mixer outs. 

I don't love them but they have some unique characteristics tonally and soundstage wise.

Do you already have the cans or the UL?

James
Voyager - HD25
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 9:21pm
It's not for me, I've got LCD2's and Solo UL. It was a pm from a fellow HF member with 702's and wanting to know about using them with Solo UL. I think this will be really helpful for him, thanks again guys.

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic