FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Advertising Standards...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 11:58pm
I think you must have been.

I wonder how many people can actually conceive the cost of a regular glossy brochure?

They don't come cheap, and I've yet to find a way of doing them DIY being not much bigger than a one man band myself (we only have three families to support through our hard work).

Therefore you would have to be shifting some stock to cover the cost.

And I can see a one man band shipping all that stuff, Russ Andrews CD's too, and having the time to write the brochures, and do the VAT, and ...

As for Mr Belt's products: A reef knotted piece of equipment wire with croc clips either end connected across the live and neutral of an unused vacuum cleaner's plug in the cubby hole beneath your stairs will improve your hi-fi's performance? That's what I read in an article by Paul Messenger many years ago.

Now I ask you, what is the difference between that and saying that a knitted cable will remove RFI already present on the mains?

None in my book, but bl**dy hell! What do I know about anything? From what I hear put about and the number of gullible takers, I must be completely thick!

No, in the case reported on the Advertising Standards Authorities website, a diligent member of the public being duly qualified brought the claim to their attention. The ASA upheld it which means the claim is dishonest.

So basically people like me (that means me and about two or three others on the entire planet) who try to educate others regarding the truth are in the main ignored.

God help us!

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 12:10am
The Russ Andrews I remember was a guy who sold one product, some kind of turntable support made out of honeycombed balsa wood or somesuch. I take it he has seen a bit of growth since those days.

It's good the ASA are picking up on snake oil claims but I seem to remember from my law course days (a long time ago) that you can say all sorts of things in advertising that are clearly not true as long as they are clearly advertising "puffery" not meant to be taken as literally true.  Seemed odd to me but the law is odd. I got a penalty notice today for driving in a bus lane. The annoying thing is I drove in a bus lane for 10 feet in order to swerve around a car that stopped suddenly in front of me. Apparently it is legally better to drive into the back of someone than to take sensible avoiding action...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 12:22am
The law is an ass!

The entire planet is based on total crap as any bible will tell you.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

The law is an ass!

The entire planet is based on total crap as any bible will tell you.

You sound frustrated. Maybe you need to put your feet up for a day, forget it all for a while.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 2:08am
I did do from about 6pm Friday until I logged in around 11pm Saturday.

You think this is frustrated? No, just telling it as I see it.

Hypocrisy rules KO!
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 11:52am
Russ still does his balsa creation (torlyte).  And very expensive balsa it is too.

When asked to comment on the ASA ruling, he said something like, "I'm sorry, I'm on my yacht in the Bahamas, could someone pass the Hawaiian Tropic?"

Allegedly.  Without prejudice.

Graham could join him, just as soon as he sells out, that is.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 12:12pm
About 20 years ago, i remember a freebie in a magazine ( I think it was a Peter Belt product, but stand to be correceted ). It was a square of black sticky backed plastic that had to be cut into triangles and stuck on plugs and lights etc.

When I tried to explain to my wife that it was going to be a mind blowing hi fi experience, did she laugh ( of course I laughed tooLOL) but she couldn't understand why I even wasted my time cutting the damn thing up.

Did I notice a difference, YES, I did , my wife suddenly started giving me funny looksEmbarrassed.

My theory on life is that we are ruled by people who generate fear in us to gain their own ends. Usually more to get  taxes from us working class ( defn - if you work for a living ! ). Fear of terrorist strikes so more cameras can curtail our freedom, fear of global warming to screw us from every angle! 

There must be a think tank in the government, just trying to think of new ways of taking our hard earned sheckles from us!

Then look at the Freedom of Info. Act and how the politician's don't want it to apply to them! How on earth have we allowed ourselves to descend into this pot full of crap?

The French president came across here and praised our way of life, but didn't the French do away with it a couple of hundred years ago?Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic