FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Adjustable capacitance for non MC carts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Igorevich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igorevich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:41am
Well, I certainly never heard about the issue of slew rate becoming different with changing input capacitance. Maybe I blew up the issue of adjustable capacitance out of proportion, but if I did, internet forums an d HiFi press are to blame. I actually never owned an adjustable phono stage, only read about the importance of such adjustments. 

Also I really like the sound of Grado cartridges, which (I assumed) had to do with them being insensitive to the capacitance issue.

Igor
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 9:47am
Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, June 1972, Vol. 20, No 5. pages 396-399 "Circuit Design Modifications for Minimising Transient Intermodulation Distortion in Audio Amplifiers", Matti Otala, Philips Research Labs, Eindhoven.

It's where the idea of an input filter comes from, to limit overshoot.

It doesn't change the slew rate of the amplifier stage, it protects the result of the input signal "racing" the transient abilities of the stage.

But if a different mantra is repeated often enough it becomes "fact" to the detriment of all others.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Igorevich Igorevich wrote:

Well, I certainly never heard about the issue of slew rate becoming different with changing input capacitance. Maybe I blew up the issue of adjustable capacitance out of proportion, but if I did, internet forums an d HiFi press are to blame. I actually never owned an adjustable phono stage, only read about the importance of such adjustments. 

Also I really like the sound of Grado cartridges, which (I assumed) had to do with them being insensitive to the capacitance issue.

It is very easy to add capacitance to any phono stage by using a set of loading plugs. Taking it away is a lot harder. 

Grado cartridges have very low inductance, not as low as a LOMC, but low enough where they won't be affected by capacitance as much as a typical MM/MI cart. 

It is definitely true that many folks won't hear capacitance differences due to high frequency hearing loss that affects all folks as we age. 

On another forum there are a couple of guys using in-built phono stages that have very high capacitance, like 330-440pf. That is not what I would personally use, but these folks are old enough that they probably won't hear the difference. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Igorevich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igorevich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
I do hear up to about 16,5kHz with my 35 years. But at 10khz my hearing is already not so good and gently rolls off more and more, until at about 16kHz I reach a point, where the sine wave is as quiet as I can possibly hope to hear. At 16,5 I kind of still feel something, but don't really hear. Higher than that and it's dead quiet.

On the bright side, CRTs are not nearly as annoying as they used to be Big smile

I must add, what drove me away from Audio Technica towards Grado was something that was happening WAY below 10kHz. I thought it's because of the capacitance, that the high mids or low highs are getting boosted so much.

Edited by Igorevich - 18 Aug 2020 at 8:11pm
Igor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic