FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Acutex M412STR cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acutex M412STR cartridge
    Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 2:04pm
Anyone who's bothered to read my ramblings in these pages will know I'm not averse to swapping cartridges on my TTs. For years I didn't bother - I had a GyroSE/Tecnoarm with a G1042 and it stayed on permanently. However when I switched over to Technics parallel trackers I bought p-mounts like they were going out of fashion (of course they had actually gone out of fashion, by then, so a lot of my purchases were new-old-stock). A chance came to get an Azden p-mount from Australia, which duly arrived only to be faulty. I never saw another one.

But recently a half-inch mount Acutex caught my eye on the 'Bay, selling for around £46 incl. shipping from Italy. Acutex were a US brand made as an OEM by Azden (who also made for Empire - which may explain the visual similarities between them and the Acutex). Azden themselves were previously Piezo.

After some searching around - and taken note that some buyers had got models with mis-aligned cantilevers - I decided to chance it. My 412 now has about 10 hours under it. With a weight of only 4gm, my arm wouldn't balance it out without a headshell weight.

The sound is big and bold. Plenty of detail with good integration across the frequency spectrum. HF percussion is well defined if sometimes lacking a little refinement; a world away from the filigree gossamer-spun treble some MCs have. Obviously, the low hours mean the sound will probably evolve, but unless it actually gets worse the Acutex is definitely a keeper, to be put into the swapping rotation with the MCs and other cartridges.

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 2:37pm
FYI: Acutex Tri Pole system:

Edited by morris_minor - 21 Feb 2015 at 3:11pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:47pm
This cartridge is still being sold on eBay (at the same low price).

Scroll down the listing and you'll see they've nicked my photo from this thread! Shocked

I suppose I should be flattered . . .  Approve

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Nigechap View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigechap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 2:43pm
Hi Bob, How did the sound settle after running in? I take it you would recomend a punt on one of these?
Nigel, Bristol U.K.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 6:18pm
Hi Nigel. Yes I think this is worth a punt - if you don't like it you haven't spent a fortune. I haven't used mine in a while, but it was settling in nicely and getting a bit more refined. I'm just playing a rip I did with the Acutex of a John Dankworth big band album, and it's got super dynamics and impact. IMO, well worth the money. I think I'll swap out my current cart, now, and give the Acutex some more air time. Wink

If you do get one, let us know what you think. BTW spare stylii are unobtainable as far as I can tell. But if you like it a lot the price for a complete cartridge is a lot less than you'd pay for some MM replacement stylii, so buy another one!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 10:36am
I've just swapped my Zyx R100 for the Acutex and am now thoroughly enjoying Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" with it. It's a totally unfair comparison of course - but the Acutex has a more forward presentation and sharper treble which tends toward being a bit splashy when compared with the R100. 

Running some FLAC files in parallel with the Acutex has proved interesting - a rip with the R100 (from the 180gm remaster I'm currently playing), a CD issue, and an Ortofon OMP40 rip from my original 1980s LP. The OM40 was a considerably more expensive buy, but aside from a more refined treble doesn't offer a whole lot more than the Acutex (though I need to dig out the original LP for a proper comparison).

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 1:28pm
Hi, always good to hear someone who isn't following the herd!!

I have never hears of the Acutex though does look like some of the Empires from some time ago.

I was cautioned once they cartridge manufacturers manufactured to differing specs to suit the temperatures & humidity in certain regions of the world. not sure whether this is true to some high end or not if purchasing from other parts of the world though Europe probably safe?

Also I have some experience of some expensive MC and its tracking ability deteriorating after several years use (not wear related) - I have no idea how old the Acutex is but could this be an issue?

Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic