FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Active near field monitor recommndations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Active near field monitor recommndations
    Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 10:30am
I am looking to purchase a pair of active near field monitors for my desk / office to be used with my Bitzie and iMac. The speakers will sit close to a wall and approximately 3 feet from me in a small room so they don't have to be mega powerful. Obviously, fidelity and neutrality are the buzzwords and my musical tastes are quite eclectic but I do lean towards sweet treble over big bass.

I have a couple of models in mind but all recommendations will be considered..

Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 10:44am
Deja Vu much? 

I sold my Equator D5 speaker pair a few months back. I also used Lautus USB into Bitzie into Lautus phono-XLR as my signal path into them. Coaxial monitors, very good sound quality for the £349 that I paid.  They need a room with good damping properties and quite a bit of space otherwise you will get the dreaded upper bass thump. Unlike passive speakers connected to Graham's Proprius monoblocks, which under most circumstances will be DEAD QUIET, the D5s do have some very low level noise at the driver's surfaces, ultimately limiting the absolute purity of the reproduction. However, give them GSP drive, a medium/large room and lots of use and they're probably one of the best speaker pairs of this size/type available. Mine were very good but you know how I feel about speakers in a sub-optimal environment; I hate them haha.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 11:19am
I knew you had the Equators Ash, that's why they were on my shortlist Smile I did consider buying them from you but they were pick up only and it was a 700 mile round trip.

Perhaps in light of your comments and my small room (3x3), they're probably not the right choice. 

Thanks for the advice though. Much appreciatedClap
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 1:24pm
In my mind, the listening environment is what determines the most suitable purchase. In a small room, I get more enjoyment out of quite small speakers than I would from larger ones; again, it's because of the bass interaction with the walls and the plentiful local reflections. I'd rather listen to a pair of AKG K1000 "speakers" sat on the desk (yes, they play loud) in my tiny room than have to listen to all the stray uncontrolled bass from the D5s. With the D5s, I liked how all of the frequencies of one channel originates from one point/place compared to standard speakers.

Perhaps look at something like the Adam A3X, which would probably be a more sensible solution for the room constraints you have. 

I may have given the impression that I'm just a headphone fan but actually, the whole point of everything I've done so far was to explore how close headphones could get to speakers. It was basically a sanity check, to teach myself what the speakers should sound like, in both frequencies and phase. What I learned in the end is that I don't like headphones or speakers. Wink Both have their own character and benefits but it's only natural to enjoy listening to music more when it originates in free space, where it is not bound within an enclosure.

Edited by Ash - 15 Feb 2015 at 1:35pm
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 1:50pm
Have you considered a cheaper option? I use a pair of Mackie MR5MK3 monitors. Placed either side of my computer screen. I use a foam sound absorbing tile (300mm X 300mm about £4 each) to control bass from the rear port (they are close to a wall). For the price I can't fault them.
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 2:42pm
I remember considering the MR5 MK2 a few years back but ended up getting the Equator D5 a couple of years after. I heard the MR5 MK2 and they were very good but the rear port would have made positioning awkward so I didn't get them. 

I've just dug a couple of photos out of my collection. My then HD250II was more neutral than the D5s but was spatially flat and 2D in comparison, with a lack of body in the midrange. The transition clearly demonstrated the restrictive spatial character of headphones, the terrible acoustics of my listening room and the inadequate purity of a box speaker, especially one with its own internal amplifier.

This should help you get a better idea of their size, by looking at the plug size. They're not exactly small...

Back in the day eh. All just an Ebay memory now.

Edited by Ash - 15 Feb 2015 at 2:46pm
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 4:04pm
FWIW I use a pair of the smaller CMS40's on IsoAcoustic stands next to my pc & I've been pretty happy with them. Only really used for gaming these days though as my pc audio now goes through my main rig.

When I bought them I compared them against some similarly priced Adams & preferred the Focal. I did also listen to the CMS50's in the dealers (and also The Focal Twin BE, just for the hell of it) & although the 50's were somewhat better I decided they were probably overkill (ie too costly Wink) for my needs.

CMS range in general seems highly regarded.

Edited by DaveG - 15 Feb 2015 at 4:06pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic