FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:34pm
Thanks Jon. The HD540II can plug into my Bitzie and allow for comparisons against two different pairs of speakers.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:38pm
Glad to help Ash and thank you for the excellent restoration you did on these HD540/II's and on the HD250/II's I have kept.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:48pm
I have purchased a new reference headphone, which succeeds my low serial number AKG K1000. It is none other than the MySphere 3.1, from the same engineer team that produced the K1000, although they are now part of LB-Acoustics in Austria. The purpose of the project was to revive the core concepts of the K1000 but produced with modern materials and manufacturing techniques and with much higher design tolerances that were simply not possible thirty years ago. This is all combined to achieve a consistent and high performance product. Here's a mugshot showing the fit to my head. More info to come soon.

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 12:27am
Wow, Ash! 
   They even look they sound good. 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
Glad you persevered Ash and hope the Mysphere sound is an entrancing as you found the K1000's.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:09pm
They even work with my beanie hat... LOL Wink so they're secure if I lie flat. Great after a long day at work when I want to relax. They use the proximity effect for low bass so its extension is variable depending on the ear-to-driver distance. Frequency response is pretty much as flat as a pancake.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:07am
I must say, the MySphere 3.1 is an astounding headphone. This could quite possibly be the best performing headphone ever made. With these, music of all genres is a real pleasure to listen to. For me, it takes the best qualities of the Sennheiser HD540 Reference II (musical, rhythmic, no frequency emphasis) and the "bass heavy" AKG K1000 (extremely spatial soundstage, transparent sound, great bass weight) puts them together and THEN SOME. Clap This is a very musical headphone with extraordinary sonic precision. It is effortless in its presentation of a neutral, transparent sound with very high resolution and is truly capable of full frequency reproduction. The upper midrange and treble have a very clean projection with no hotness or fatiguing quality. The bass extends very very low and deep depending on ear-to-driver position and amplification. The sense of perceived space for headphone sound is world-class; really spectacular ability to project a sense of space. This headphone excels with excellent recordings that have been mixed and mastered very well. Tonality is spot on; instruments sound as they would in real life. Timing is fast and responsive. Foot tapping and rhythmically engaging sound. Emotion is well conveyed through voice, piano, cello, violin et al. This is probably the ultimate sound engineer headphone, if an open design is suitable for the application. This is a "broadcast level" of device. Physically, I also love the short, lightweight cable that only plugs into one side of the headphone bow. Much better than having two wires hanging down next to the face. High driver sensitivity makes this device really simple to power. I have no regrets buying this product, regardless of how expensive it was. It's so great to finally be free of the slightly elevated (1-2dB) upper bass to lower midrange region of the K1000; this is as flat as a pancake in comparison. This headphone gives the critical, experienced listener a very clear vision of how the sound would translate to speakers in front of them. I am very lucky to live in a time where application of modern technology and materials allows a reproduction of this high standard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>
  Share Topic