FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:56am
I've never really been a speaker enthusiast until recently. I'd always enjoyed hearing exactly what the recording should sound like without significant sound signature and colourations. Both passive and active box speakers that I'd tried could never do much of what my HD540II and later K1000 could do. The speakers were more spatial and three-dimensional but apart from that, they were just an awful coloured mess. The breakthrough moment for me personally was putting an Alpair 12PW and Alpair 7P together on a cardboard open baffle. The12PW is a dedicated woofer and it can go very low indeed, without needing much of an enclosure to do so. At probably about 1.5m away from each woofer, wow... bass. No hump and thump. It scaled properly and whilst lower frequency bass had less energy, the clarity and audibility was superb. I will be using this driver as my main bass unit. My next decision is which full range driver to blend it with. 10P, 12P or perhaps my newly acquired 10MAOP (micro arc oxidation process) drivers. I'm thinking the 12P for its microdynamic resolution but one of the 10 drivers may have a better treble reproduction.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 5:20pm
Glad to see you still have the same passion since your first post Ash. I still have the pair of HD-540 Reference II you sold me an age ago and still going strong. Recently bought a Solo amp and finding my way back to headphone listening.
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:49pm
Glad to read that they're serving you well. They are lightweight, easy to maintain and sound great. Exceptional price to performance ratio for what they are. Whilst nowhere near as difficult to source as the HD250, the 540II is still quite hard to find in good condition with decent earpads these days. The earpads are the most significant thing for getting the best sound.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:45am
I still enjoy using the '540 Ref 2 too.
They go to show that newer isn't necessarily better.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 3:55pm
nor how much you pay for it.

Whilst I still like the HD540II and AKG K1000, I have no use for either of them anymore now I've got some well-engineered speaker emitters/drivers. I never knew how superb speakers could sound until recently. I may buy a single HD250II as a listening reference and for applications that require a sealed headphone. It will mainly be to help me get the best sound out of my speakers. It's nice not to have to wear anything on the head.
Benja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:57pm
i also still enjoy the hd540II that i bought from you Ash. i did to have to buy a new cable for it though. because only one side was working. 

Edited by Benja - 14 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 2:58am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

nor how much you pay for it.

Whilst I still like the HD540II and AKG K1000, I have no use for either of them anymore now I've got some well-engineered speaker emitters/drivers. I never knew how superb speakers could sound until recently. I may buy a single HD250II as a listening reference and for applications that require a sealed headphone. It will mainly be to help me get the best sound out of my speakers. It's nice not to have to wear anything on the head.
 I feel the same, Ash... "It's nice not to have to wear anything on the head." 
As I have very big ears, It can be uncomfortable to wear headphones. I do use headphones for referencing sound levels and recording cues at times; they allow concentration to avoid distractions as well.
 A good pair of speakers can give the listener a feeling of being "in" the environment produced by the sound emanating.
 I have had high efficiency speakers that give a pleasing environment with only 0.01 watts (yes 1/100th) per channel. 

Edited by BAK - 15 Oct 2017 at 3:05am
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic