FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession phono stage review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 10:19pm
Thanks for a very good review Bob. This has made me eager to hear an Accession in my own system.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 10:27am
Yes, thanks for that informative review Bob. Will be interesting to read your views
on MM if you get the chance.
The Accession is getting to be a big temptation.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 6:27pm
I've just swapped the Accession for the Reflex M, and there is definitely something missing - the connection with the music is more apparent with the Accession, and the better grip on the bass is noticeable too.

But it would be wrong to say there's a night and day difference - because in my system there's not: the differences are apparent but subtle. A couple of days with the Reflex and I'll be back enjoying it as much as I ever did! The extra features of the Accession however (variable output, EQ settings, mono switch, loading) would definitely be missed . . . Wink

I'm taking this opportunity to move the Accession to my second system to sample a range of MM cartridges . . . more from me later (this week, hopefully . . )
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 5:20pm
The Accession has now been in my AV system for a couple of days. The "preamp" is an Audiolab 8200AP switched to 'direct' for vinyl playback. The amps are a couple of Proprius mono blocks connecting with PMC Gb1i speakers via Spatia cable.

The turntable I'm currently using is a much modified Technics SL-QL1 parallel tracker, and so far I've only used one of my p-mount MMs - a Technics P22 with a NOS boron cantilvered stylus. I had a SL7 back in the 80s and paid scant attention to the P22, wanting to go with the crowd and get a p-mount Shure V15LT. I should have listened to the P22 a bit more closely back then, because via the Accession it produces a stunning sound. 

The traits of the Accession with MC via an Elevator are all there - deep controlled bass, a clarity to die for, and a great connection with the music. I was taken aback, though, by the quality of the treble. Whether shimmering cymbals, or soaring strings  - the P22 would give a good many MCs a run for their money. I can say with absolute certainty that my 1980s P22 never sounded this good.

An example of the detail that this combination revealed came with a big band disc. I'd never heard that a sax section riff was being doubled by a muted trumpet before. But it was quite apparent via the Accession. Spatial placement was also exemplary; on a marimba solo you could place each note in a slightly different position.

I've a Jico SAS stylus for the P22, so will try that, along with an Ortofon OM40 and X1-MC (hgh output MC), and a Sonus SPM4 (which gives a lovely smooth ride). But meanwhile I'm hooked on the Accession/P22 pairing . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 5:54pm
Bobs' impression of the Accession with the P22 is very interesting - I have used an AT150ANV, AT150MLX, Ortofon 2M Black and 2M Blue with the Accession & in each case music is smoother than I have heard through any other phono stage - pin point imaging, fabulous musicality and a very realistic and addictive shimmer to percussion (in particular). He seems to have a similar experience so let's hope this trait continues with other combinations, both MM and MC.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 12:09pm
Hi whilst not in the market for one at the moment can Graham share when the Accession is due for official/commercial release/sale?

I have never been sure how the press gets hold of products for review but will be interesting to see how it is received? I am never sure whether they are requested or provided by manufacturers? Maybe this is story Graham can share at another time. I do like scanning the TNT reviews and wonder if they are an option?

Regards
Richard
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 9:32pm
Reviews are about one persons findings, in one system, and that persons personal taste. Not forgetting the reviewers taste in music.

Another thing about some reviewers is their personal allegiance to a particular brand or group of brands which can sometimes color the outcome.

Reviews can also be bought and one of "the magazines" charges £500 (internet) and £1000 (print and internet) chargeable up-front.

Reviews by some TNT Audio reviewers will be kosher. Their "bio's" may assist in you deciding if they are.

Magazine deadlines leave little time for a product to settle or "burn-in".

It surprises me how much trust people put in magazine reviews. It's as if they can't trust their own ears, and don't know how to assess if a product gives an improvement.

Proper use of the loaner program will shed light on whether a product does it or not. Use the product exclusively for the two week trial period, then after revert back to what you had for another two week period.

Then answer yourself honestly. Did you miss anything when you reverted back?

It's OK to answer no if not, but if you did then try and quantify what you missed. If you think you can no longer listen without that product, then you'd buy it. You don't need a reviewer to tell you.

Reviews are useful for a manufacturer to gain some credence with a new customer, but once that customer has found the manufacturer's products are to his/her taste, then it should move on to a manufacturer-customer relationship. Unless that is, the original product turned out to be a "one hit wonder".

Magazines have made people too scared to trust themselves, and some manufacturers are also responsible.

It isn't healthy to wait for a magazine to tell you it's OK to buy.

PS. Magazines don't go out and buy products to review. Most of the time they're flooded out with products from manufacturers waiting to be reviewed. Those that make good cover shots (which tempt people to buy the magazine) get pride of place. Some less-fortunate magazines will request a product from a manufacturer.

Edited by Graham Slee - 07 Nov 2015 at 9:36pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic