FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession mm settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accession mm settings
    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:02pm
Good Evening everyone, I'm a UK newbie to the forum and I am hoping to have an Accession mm phono stage on loan at home for a couple of weeks when available. Never having owned an adjustable phono stage before I have taken a look at the owners manual to see if I could figure out what the settings should be for my cartridge, pre amp and LP collection of course. I would welcome any feed back as to whether my selections are correct.
My cartridge is an Audio Note IQ3 mm on an A N tonearm and turntable, tone arm wiring and cable is Litz silver. The Load resistance of the cartridge is 47k Ohms, Load Capacitance is 150 - 200pF.
Frequency response is 20Hz to 20kHz, Sensitivity is 6.5mV. 
The input impedance on my pre amp is low at 20k Ohms on RCA connections.

Looking at the manual RIAA is an obvious selection as is Stereo (only mono is B D Blonde on Blonde).
Using 85 pF as a mid value of the manual suggested capacitive load of 75 - 100 for the tone arm and cable wiring and subtracting it from a mid value of 175pF (150 to 200 pF cart. cap.) I came ot with a figure of 90 pF and reckoned setting the capacitance at the rear for both channels should be 100 pF ?

The PU input would I think be correct for the cartridge specifications ? At the front I'm not sure on the CA / Flat selection, for sure I will not be doing any ripping of vinyl tracks etc.

I will be using the volume control on my pre amp, and I believe turning the volume control on the phono stage fully clockwise takes it out of the circuit can this be confirmed. 
Thank you for any comments, T T.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:51pm
Hi David, thank you for joining us. I live in Boro, whereabouts in Teesside are you?

I have read that the AN IQ3 is very good and based on Goldring's 1000 body, using the same coils/generator. I agree about the cables and suggest starting with zero added capacitance from the Acc MM and see how the music sounds. If you think it is dull or lacking treble and detail try adding 100pF, play some music see which you prefer.

Yes your cartridge is ideal for the PU input. I have used a Goldring 1042 with my Acc MM and got very good results. On the front I have the left switch up (stereo) and the other two down (RIAA).

Edited by Fatmangolf - 27 Aug 2021 at 9:52pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic