FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession MM Capacitance/Loading Settings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 7:36am
I agree that tinkering with the switches will only affect the highs, and not the low bass response.

How many hours does your LVB have? If it's new, the bass might improve by itself with some more hours of playing and the suspension slightly loosening up.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:59am
Originally posted by ctalcroft ctalcroft wrote:

Normally, I listen with the bass/treble controls on my Outlaw Audio rr2160 amp turned completely off but I have to turn them on when I listen to rock music and turn down the bass several notches because the bass is too much.

I think that has to be put right first.

That's either the Accession plugged to the Outlaw's phono input, or your room acoustics are really really bad.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 4:59pm
Human hearing is a funny thing. I've experimented a bit with headphones tuned to preference curves and digital EQ correction with digital music playback.

If I take frequencies at 2.5K, 5K, and 10K and boost them all to create a massive +5dB to +8dB bubble, some folks might "hear" that as a thin sound lacking in bass frequencies. In actuality, I have done nothing to the bass frequencies at all.

The same thing can happen with a wrongly loaded cartridge IME. Big peaking at those frequencies can cause the listener to zero in on those aspects and not "hear" what is going on in the lower frequencies.

If you have a cable from a manufacturer with mystery specs you have no idea how the cartridge is actually being loaded. One popular tonearm company is telling people to buy an upgrade cable with 340pf. Another "high end" cable company sells a phono cable with over 500pf. Good luck trying to use any of these things with today's MM and MI cartridges.

Take an MM or MI cartridge and change the cantilever thickness, the cantilever material, the diamond profile, etc. and that may shift the peaking into a different territory.

A few years ago there was a big trend to take modestly priced MC cartridges and upgrade them with cantilevers and diamonds far away from the original factory spec. A popular one was a very thin ruby cantilever with an extreme FG stylus profile. When some users got their cartridges back they raved about the sound, while others claimed the sound had changed to "screaming bright" and quickly put the cartridge up for sale. Few if any people provided before and after measurements of the changes.

Anyway, audio problems can be difficult to diagnose over the internet. Something that might take 10 minutes in person could take hours or days to figure out over a message board, especially if the person with the problem doesn't have key info at hand or a basic way to verify what's going on.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 7:38pm
Rather than trying to reach the loading switches at the back please try the EQ switch on the front. Going from RIAA to Brit will reduce the treble and may rebalance the sound  slightly towards bass as David says.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic