FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession for Moving Coil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by shashirao shashirao wrote:

Maybe I need to buy a 2nd turntable - one MM the other MC. Naah...I am in no rush...Accession MC will be a long patient journey of discovery.
This is definitely the right thing to do and we’ll all be happy to guide you to a choice.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by shashirao shashirao wrote:

Maybe I need to buy a 2nd turntable - one MM the other MC. Naah...I am in no rush...Accession MC will be a long patient journey of discovery.
This is definitely the right thing to do and we’ll all be happy to guide you to a choice.
And then a 3rd turntable . . .  LOL
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 9:53am
Thanks for your support Bob.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 10:53am
Only 3, why stop there? Approve
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:24pm
LOL....every room should have one!!
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:06pm
Finally - I got my tonearm back after maintenance (pin needed re-soldering).

I purchase the Accession MC a few months ago and had been waiting to really play it - and finally the moment arrived today.

First impression - Graham Slee has killed it yet again!
Setup: Project xTension 12 classic with Palo Santos Presentation MC cartridge.
Sampled 3 song tracks over Sennheiser HDP 250 headphones.

The tracks I played included a mix of stereo and mono pressings. The stereo reproduction was tight/crisp with details revealed loud and strong...layer after layer of music. I ended up playing catch with instruments I wanted to follow in the recording. And I was able to listen to instrument transition and all those acoustic play delicacy that one experiences in a recording room. The stereo vinyl is from the early 80s and well beaten up (test record for me). The Accession's ability to filter out the music from the noise was quite evident. There are the expected noise from a well used vinyl...but as expected it hardly interfered with the music.

As for the fabled MC details - too early to ascertain. I did not miss any sound detail (having heard the track many times before). But I am curious to compare it with my Revelation C. A straight MC to MC compare.

I played the music on the highest volume setting and did not encounter any elevation of noise or fatigue.

Then came the mono pressing. This was an early 80s CBS recording that was troublesome for most MC cartridges - especially when the singer hits the high notes. The previous experiences have been from shrill, loud to downright grating on the ears. I found the MM cartridge (Clearaudio Charisma v2) handled this recording the best.

And today, the magical doors to musical nirvana opened up. My Presentation cartridge is known for detailed soundstage and not shy of playing a bad record in all its horrid glory. At the start of the track, one can distinctly hear the click of the recording equipment and the squealing of the master tape motor. With the Accession MC, the Presentation played the same details. However the vocal shrill was not shiny and grating anyore. In fact for the first time I got to appreciate the singer scaling the high notes and her dextirity. The percussion held its place and it was a fantastic performance by this setup.

I can confidently attribute the Accession MC's handling of the Presentation as the huge and only factor that allowed me to listen to its detailed reproduction as intended when recorded. I noticed that I had my headphone amplifier set to -8db input - and it sounded perfect. Increased to -4db input did not distort the sound, but increased the sound level as expected - and was louder than what I needed. So back to -8db input for this recording.

All this in under 20 minutes of listening....and I have many years of listening to look forward to. So on first glance - Graham Slee - thank you for improving my MC cartridges. I remember the Accession MM's ability to filter out noise upgraded my vinyl collection grading by a few notches.

If there is anything better coming from your workshop forthe pre-amp world - I say give me a year or two to savor the Accession MC and establish a new baseline to my listening standards.

Cheers
Shashi
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 6:43am
Glad that you liked it, it will just keep delivering BUT...just try adding the Enigma PSU to it instead of the normal PSU and then you WILL hear what the Accession C is really capable of Wink
Derek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
  Share Topic