FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession for Moving Coil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:29am
Hoping it finds favour so that the GSP Twin Accession may come to fruition. I'll start saving for a 2 x MM version.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

This is where I needed a volunteer who has the necessary equipment for comparison between the Elevator with Accession, and the Accession MC prototype. Who? No other than our resident prolific you tube channel creator Bob!
You've blown my cover, Graham. ShockedLOL

When Graham asked if I'd like to hear his AccessionMC prototype, I ummed and erred for about 5 microseconds before saying "yes please" . . . Wink

I let Graham know some of the music I had and we settled on a few tracks to do the comparisons, plus I sent a few of my own choices. Before the AccMC turned up I ripped the tracks with the AccMM+EXP with most of my selection of MCs - which, for the record were:

Zyx R100H, Yamaha MC-1x, Hana EL, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Ortofon Vivo Red.

The rips were replicated with the AccMC in place. My Lexicon I-O 22 ADC was connected to the variable output on the Accessions by CuSat50 cables, and to my computer by a Lautus USB. The AccMM and Elevator were connected by a short CuSat50. BTW the turntable was my Kenwood KD7010 direct drive.

I made sure I matched recording levels, and the files were saved as FLACs for Graham to download.

So much for the procedure - what were my conclusions? 

Well - the AccMM+EXP is a hard act to follow. (I'll just refer to MM and MC from now on . . ) Both MM and MC showed the different cartridges in the same way - one didn't make a cartridge any worse or better. You get out what you put in, in that respect. It's the presentation that's different - and I was pleased to see that Graham, John & Leo agreed with me that the MC is even more natural and unforced than the MM. A quick A-B comparison could have you favour the MM, because it seemed to me slightly more "hi-fi" than the MC. But the musical communication with the MC was a delight to listen to. Soundstaging, detail, dynamics, depth - they were all first class but in a manner that never drew attention to the way the sound was being reproduced. Rather, all the aspects combined to draw you deeper into the music and banish any thoughts you had about just "listening to the sound".

If you have an AccMM+EXP should you go for the AccMC? It raises the bar even higher, so I'd definitely say "audition one" - and pre-warn your bank manger (do we have these nowadays?).

Me - I'm going to hang out for the Acc "Duo", able to take both MM and MC inputs. The Reflex can then take the place of the Era Gold V in the living room, and that plus the EXP can be retired (more likely stored for a future system elsewhere in the house . . .Embarrassed).

I hope this helps . . . .
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 6:21pm
Thanks Bob very helpful. May end up on my shopping list . . . . .
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Interesting what you say about loading and gain, which Dynavector do you have?

It's the DV-XX2Mk2. The recommended load impedance is 30 ohms, but to my ears (and everyone who's heard the comparison here) the sound was relatively flat and closed in until the Elevator was adjusted up to the loading levels mentioned.

I have no idea why that should be but it is definitely my conclusion Confused

Edited by Suggs - 20 Aug 2016 at 6:19am
Derek
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 9:37am
Snap! An excellent cartridge. It is some time since I have read the spec but thought it was a minimum of rather than a stated value? I gradually increased the loading to the current value over a longish period and keep telling myself i should have a play with the loading again but have been too busy enjoying the music of late.

It is possible of course that the 500ohm loading in the Accession MC may outweigh the change in loading?

Will see but glad we have a common interest/sense of enjoyment.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 11:58am
Yes, tg (of this parish) is also a user of the same cartridge...obviously good taste abounds here on the forum (as it would Thumbs Up). If he picks up this post his findings would be well worth reading also.
Derek
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 6:27pm
My preferred load for the DV was 456 Ohms (1K parallel to 840) - I found that preferable to 500 Ohms and consequently did not try any higher.  That was with the Revelation.  I have not used it again since receiving the Accession so cannot say if it might change that preference.
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic