FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession first impressions/Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 11:35am
After a few days with the Accession, I have re-visited my original posting & still stand by everything I put down. Graham has applied to patent something quite unique here, the technicalities of which I don’t fully understand - but what I do understand is what I hear. I don’t feel I have exaggerated anything and as I said, I also don’t think I have the vocabulary to properly articulate what my system is doing.

Very late Friday night, I dragged myself away from the music and the volume had been pretty loud when I finished. I then noticed some hiss through the speakers so I flicked the Accession mono switch and it halved but was still just about there. I then changed over to the Reflex M on another input and it was gone. I should clarify that this hiss is not apparent once the stylus hits the vinyl as it is below the level of surface noise so pretty irrelevant unless someone is a specs-maniac or obsessive over these things (or a bat).

I then sent a quick PM to Graham to ask about this. His reply goes along the lines of zero distortion and a bit of hiss or a bit of distortion and zero hiss - there is no other way with this unique patentable approach. I guess the hiss is similar to that produced by an MC stage & now I see why he does not produce a pure MC version.

I will happily take the zero distortion option when it sounds like it does when music is playing.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Unless you count a Reflex M plus Elevator EXP as "one" phono stage, we have never priced a phono preamp above £1,000...

And we the won't be doing that with the Accession either.

It falls short of all the "EQ's" offered on the Revelation, so it should cost less than that.

Priced to sell, we decided on £800.

That sounds reasonable from all I have read about the sound quality on offer.
I take it that is the price with PSU1 supplied?

I can't wait for the loan scheme units to be available.

Edited by CageyH - 04 Oct 2015 at 12:07pm
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:02pm
I asked whether it included the PSU1 & the answer was yes.
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:05pm
I can feel my wallet getting lighter and a second hand Revelation M appearing on the market.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I can feel my wallet getting lighter and a second hand Revelation M appearing on the market.

Likewise!
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 2:53pm
Hi very interesting. Do you perceive the hiss could be an issue with an Elevator EXP?

As to the selling price this is rather interesting. Should price be based on cost plus a margin to cover development and profit OR should it reflect the benefit/improvement. Graham believes in the former which is good for us. If lotus were able to create an S class's merc beating car for £30k would it be reasonable to sell for that or double/triple the price?

I don't think anyone would quibble over a little more £950? But perhaps not until we have all bought one who wants to!!!!

Richard
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 5:03pm
I cannot comment on the Elevator because I only use MM but I guess Graham may have something to say.

As for cost, I did suggest a higher price to Graham once I saw just how good this is but he is comfortable with the price point they have chosen relative to the rest of the range and the competition. I would happily pay more.
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
  Share Topic