FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

About to upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Ctearpak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ctearpak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to upgrade
    Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:28am
Hi everyone, I currently have an Era Gold V on loan (what an awesome program.)

I haven't plugged it in yet, but want to know your thoughts on how big an improvement I would see from the Era Gold V and the Reflex / Accession models...

Basically, this is the unit that was available, and I wanted to see if I would notice a real difference between my current Cambridge 640P preamp on my Rega RP-6/Exact II setup. If I do, and it excites me, will it just be "more" of a difference, or am I looking at something completely different going to either of those units. The accession features are super-attractive to me, but I don't want to decide that I love the Era Gold V and have a completely different character when getting to the Accession... (keeping the EQ stuff in mind, of course.)

Any thoughts you all have, or experiences are very appreciated!

Thanks!
Christopher 
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 8:54pm
Like all things it’ll depend on the rest of your system. No disrespect but I my opinion the V will easily outperform your current pre amps built in stage but I think the Cambridge will be a bottleneck on the performance. Whether or not you’ll hear a performance improvement between a V and an Accession I don’t know, you’ll have to loan one.

Do you intend on further upgrades on your system? Do you exclusively listen to vinyl because you could use an Accession to feed your power amp directly.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:46am
Hi Christopher,
Ernie states it well, the Gold V will easily outperform the Cambridge 640P (which is fine at its price),
but whether you will find the ReflexM or Accession are worth the extra over the Gold V in the context of your current system can only really be found by trying them out.Smile

I owned an Era Gold V for many years & used it with a Rega RP9 & MusicMaker cart & loved it.
The change to the ReflexM didn't alter the sound's character too much but brought stronger soundstaging/imaging & overall definition.
The Accession seems to do the same thing over the ReflexM.

Having said that, if you have aspirations for turntable & cartridge upgrades, going straight
for the Accession now is a consideration.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Ctearpak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ctearpak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:14am
Having “room to grow” in the system is definitely one reason I want to go with accession. I am running a Marantz receiver as my amp, in a mode that bypasses the internal circuitry to just amplify without coloring the signal. My speakers are Bowers and Wilkins 683s bi-amped from the receiver.
I can definitely hear a difference between the V and the 640P, and prefer the sound of the V. There just seems to be more sound in the room, and more detail. I don’t want to go too crazy, and if I upgrade anything it would probably be the cartridge when the Exact is due for replacement. I think the RP6 upgraded to anything higher would be a bit of overkill unless I am also spending tens of thousands of dollars elsewhere in my system, and I would rather spend that on music :) diminishing returns and all... I think of the Accession didn’t have the extra features over the Reflex M, I’d probably just consider the Reflex.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:24am
Graham invested money (quite a lot probably) to patent his Accession design. It's unconventional and uses a different approach to other phono stages. He's a sensible man so when he makes a financial outlay like that, there is going to be an audible reason. I'd go for the Accession to scratch the itch.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ctearpak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ctearpak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:25am
I'm kind of thinking the same :-)
Ctearpak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ctearpak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:47am
The only thing I wonder is if there are characteristics that would make it wildly different from the Reflex or the Gold V in it's standard mode (no EQ.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic