FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A not so New Newbies system upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Speculator66 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speculator66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A not so New Newbies system upgrade
    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 12:28pm

Right, i'm now here to what seems to be a wonderful site and somewhere that can offer help and advice.
However, i'm not "new" at 70 and put my first system together ca. 1972.
That system was a Wharfedale Linton Amp and Speakers with a Thorens TD150 mk II with Shure M75ED
The Amp was soon replaced with a Goodmans120 Receiver and the speakers with a pair of Celestion Ditton 66's. The Turntable soon became a Thorens TD125 with Shure V15 III.

No more changes happened until ca. 1990 when the Goodmans was replaced with a Pioneer A400

So, on to more recent times. 3 years ago ? I started a new upgrade with an Arcam A39 and a Cyrus CD Player ( I forgot i'd had a Rotel one)
So we came to the Turntable and after some more deliberation I went for a Project Xtension 9 with Superpack including an Ortofon Quintet Black (not the Black S). Of course, I needed a Phono Stage and chose the Project Phono Tube DS.

Now, i've been reading many equipment reviews and more lately lots of things here and begun, rather late in the day, to understand that things are not as simple as I used to believe.
Issues about how systems handle different types of music - or don't.
This is my first experience of Moving Coil and I must say that these things have now become important.
Why?

My older system with the V15 III always seemed to handle pop, rock and heavy metal with ease. Classical was fine but something about it never totally convinced me.

Now with the new system I find some pop music, e.g. Arcade Fire's Reflektor quite difficult and edgy.
But Classical Music - Wow!!
Now I realise some of the things i'd been missing. All instruments distinct and clear with a great soundstage.

The question - sorry it's taken a long time - Is it likely that it's the Phono stage that's troubling me ? 
Having read Graham's articles about moving coil and Accession, I am looking at this as the improvement to make.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

John 

Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 3:56pm
Hi John, 

You should take advantage of the loan program of Graham Slee if available in your country. This program let you loan a GS piece of equipment for 2 weeks. In return, you must pay the cost of shipping both ways. In which country are you living ? If you live in Canada and are interested you are welcome to send me a private message. 
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 7:48pm
From a fellow septuagenarian welcome John,
As Raphael says the loan scheme would be a good place to start and find what might suit you. The Accession should bring the best from your Quintet.
I'm assuming that you're in the UK, in which case you need to contact John C to arrange a loan of the Accession MC.
To contact John C you can PM him by clicking on the drop down menu next to his name, see here https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/uk-loaner-program-back_topic4784.html

Happy listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 8:46pm
1st of all WELCOME John
Don't be sorry it's nice to know what people have had or got in the way of HiFi it gives us some idea of the advice we can give.
My advice is try the loan scheme if you can, I can't give you any more as I have no experience with moving coil carts but I'm sure a lot on here have and can

Jonathan 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 1:58am
Welcome, John,
   The Quintet Black is the detail miner of the family. Some prefer the Bronze because it’s “kind” to set up and less than stellar pressings. However! I’ve had a little experience with the Quintet Black and a lot of experience with the 2M Black. I currently use a Rega Apheta 2, which often cops the same criticism as the Quintet Black for being too “bright” or “spotlit” in the treble.
I agree with those criticisms IF the phonostage isn’t up to the job. I’ve had phonostages from NAD, Rega, Project and Slee through my system and the results have varied widely on the same carts. The NAD and Project were both dual MM/MC devices (make of that what you will) and both made MC sound strident and aggressive. “Artificially detailed” I believe the phrase is? My classical collection sounded way more clear, but I couldn’t listen for longer than about an hour before I was tired.  
The Rega was much better at seeming more balanced, but a lot of the detail went missing by comparison. 
I now use the Accession MC and, for me, it is the sweet spot. Extremely detailed without brightness, musical flow in abundance, and extended listening sessions that last hours. 
I agree with the others that getting in touch with the loan scheme and trying the Accession MC for yourself, in your system and your room. Then you don’t have to “have faith” in anyone else’s opinion! Try it and see if you like it.
All the best,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Speculator66 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speculator66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 8:46am
Many thanks Aussie.
What you have said seems to accord with what I have experienced so far and makes sense to me.
The Accession sounds very promising and as you and others have said, it seems that the loan service is the way to go.

Best wishes 

John

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic