FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A friendly hello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Neptune38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neptune38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A friendly hello
    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 2:32pm
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for having me.  Just thought I’d introduce myself.  My name is Dennis and I love music.  It’s time to upgrade my system with a proper phono stage as I have been using the integrated pre on my Yamaha RX-A3010 and it sounds really good at the moment, but I think there’s plenty of room for improvement.

My system may not be quite audiophile, but I think it sounds great, just want more out of it.  My turntable is a modded Rega RP6 with Exact 2 cartridge.  That runs into the Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010, and out through some Polk Monitor 75T’s.  Nothing special but I still love it.

I’m considering the Reflex M.  Any thoughts on whether this would be a good fit?  I could try the loaner program.  I should also mention that my Exact cartridge has been rebuilt by Soundsmith using a boron cantilever and nude contact line stylus.  It sounds terrific.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  I was first looking at the Gold Era V, but am now leaning towards the Reflex M with PSU1. Hoping to join the GS owners club soon!  Thanks!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 3:36pm
Welcome. I think the best thing you can do is try out a couple of models from the loaner program and decide what you like best.

I use the Reflex M + PSU myself but don't use Rega cartridges. I'm sure someone else here has though. You will find that a wide variety of cartridge brands and types are used with GS phono preamps.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Neptune38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neptune38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 3:49pm
Thanks for the reply!  Yeah, I think the loaner program might be a good place to start.  Unless I end up just biting the bullet and buy one.  So far I haven’t found any negative thoughts or reviews on the Reflex M.  Seems like a pretty solid unit all around.  If I were to take part in the loaner program I’d probably want to demo the Gold Era V and the Reflex M.  The Accession looks amazing but is a little beyond my budget.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 7:05pm
Welcome Dennis
I have the Reflex M with PSU1 and using it with an Ortofon 2m Bronze cart. My amp does not come with Phono amp or headphone amp built in which is fine by me, but my last amp did and I found the SE2 a great improvement over the built in one, Some reviewer said that the amps phono amp was vary good but the SE2 just blow it away (I got the up grade bug hence the Reflex) I think you are doing your system a disservice by saying it's not audiophile your RP6 alone is a great turntable, not familiar with the rest of your system.
Try the loaner program it's a great way of hearing it for your self in your system and room. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 9:13pm
Thanks for joining us Dennis. I had the multi-EQ version of the Reflex M with a PSU1 and it worked well with a Rega P3-24/Exact. I recommend the loan scheme.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 9:39pm
Welcome Dennis,
I used the loan scheme to try the Reflex M a year ago when I had a Rega Planar3 with Nag cartridge. I was blown away by the improvement in sound quality and detail over the mid range Pro***t phono stage I had been using. I was ready to go for one when I realised after discussing with John C that the Accession M would give me the flexibility for 'ripping' that I wanted.  So I ended buying a nearly new Acc.
Just a word of warning, once you hear the improvement the GS phono stage gives, you'll want to test more GS equipment, it's addictive!
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Neptune38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neptune38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 9:58pm
Thanks everyone!  I love the RP6 and the Exact.  A great combo deserving of a great preamp.  The Reflex M is looking like a good match for the Exact’s high output.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic