FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

a Bob W redirect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
vaporlock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaporlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a Bob W redirect
    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 4:06pm
Hi All,

A quick introduction. Looking for a phonoamp to replace my ageing audio research PH1 I ended up with a short list of second hand amps. the L*nn linto, AQVOX and the AR PH2.

I did not think of a graham slee amp eventhough I have a Solo headphone amp which I bought in 2001 or 2002. This amp had a construction defect which was taken care of by graham in the best possible manner.

So during the search I stumble across a mention of the Accession on some forum (steve hoffman me thinks) so I remember the headphone incident and put grahams amps on the shortlist. looking for more info and opinions on them (cause they don't look like much, the "intellect" needs convincing) and I stumble across the youtube channel of Bob wood.

A brief exchange later and I am aware of the loan program (totally awesome way of doing things) a message has been sent to kevin and here I am.....

I am really really curious how the reflex M and accession M will affect my system.

I am playing vinyl with a homemade TT, Morsiani arm, shelter 501, dynavector XX or zyx fuji (I like the DV and shelter very much, not so sure of the zyx) cartridge through the audio research PH1 into a Karan 180 amp. I know the PH1 is an MM amp, the signal is boosted between the PH1 and the Karan with a marantz SX72.

I really enjoy the music it all plays but I do think changing the PH1 and removing the sx72 would improve things a lot.

friendly regards

Leon
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 4:46pm
Welcome. If you are using LOMC cartridges then you probably want to borrow a Reflex C and Accession MC from the loaner program. Check the forum section for the loaner program in your country and PM that loan coordinator to get the ball rolling. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
vaporlock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vaporlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 7:43am
Good morning Patientot,

Since I have an elevator on its way, I prefer to test the mm amps. I am thinking I might have more luck finding the mm amp version second hand that the mc's.

ALso, If I can not hear a difference with the existing amp, the elevator means I can remove the SX72 and drive the PH1 correctly.

The loan program is brilliant and two amps are planned in by Kevin for testing. 

Friendly regards

Leon
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by vaporlock vaporlock wrote:

Good morning Patientot,

Since I have an elevator on its way, I prefer to test the mm amps. I am thinking I might have more luck finding the mm amp version second hand that the mc's.

ALso, If I can not hear a difference with the existing amp, the elevator means I can remove the SX72 and drive the PH1 correctly.

The loan program is brilliant and two amps are planned in by Kevin for testing. 

Friendly regards

Leon

Sorry, I wasn't clear on your situation. So you borrowed an Elevator or bought one recently? And you're going to test the MM preamps with the Elevator? And yes I do see the MM models on the used market more often, usually because someone upgraded within the GS line and is selling their old preamp. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
vaporlock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vaporlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:49am
Hi Patientot,

Actually the whole thought train started setting up the system again after moving house.
The PH1 is MM and I use an old SR72 to boost the signal. This should and could be done better. So I started looking at ways to step up the cartridge signal. Seeing the general cost of doing that properly I thought of changing the PH1 for an MC amp. which led to a lot of reading and thinking that trying an MM cartridge would be a good option etc. etc..

Eventually I found an elevator second hand for a pretty good price which set the tone for the rest.

it should improve things significantly and keep all cartridge options open

V
vaporlock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaporlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 3:06pm
Hi All,

It has taken a while but finally the Morsiani arm has been rewired and set up (which takes a while and a lot of patience), the accession and elevator are connected and the music plays beautifully. I was quite happy with the AR PH1 and thought that improvements over it would be slight. man was i wrong. A serious step up, very very nice.

short description is : simply very musical. everything sounds correct.

A pic of the GS trio.

A Sunday full of music to you all.

V
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 5:44pm
Looking good Leon.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic