FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

5V 3A PSU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:46pm
The problem I'm having here is why it takes a SK47/76 (plus case) to keep the temperature to 40C (25C ambient), and for the voltage to keep up at 3 amps, where it would seem everybody else gets away with just the case as heatsink.

Just think how much money YRN PLC could have saved if they'd used a different designer!

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:53pm
I must say, some of the linear PSUs I have looked at have slim metal cases with no fins and I wonder how hot they run because they don't look like they will cool efficiently.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:25pm
You are right Ash, air flow is everything when there is waste heat and I suspect Grajam has prevented some fires by his honest engineering.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:14pm
I look at it in terms of safety and component lifespan. Products that run very hot are ignition sources and won't last in the long run or have stable component behaviour. As stability is clearly a desirable characteristic of a high fidelity power supply, it seems rational to me that there need to be design considerations for dissipating heat effectively, to maintain a consistent output. Compared to the competition, at least Slee products are designed to be left on all the time.
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:46pm
Is the PSU available now?
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:20pm
It would be great to see some professional photographs of the finished product and measurements.

I am still deciding whether I need a dedicated transport and PSU for my audio, hence my delay with ordering. Without a 5V transport, I would have no use for the PSU... Holding off my Enigma until I decide.

Does the info plate say 5V and 3.3V? I am considering requesting a dual-5V.
John C View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

gspaudio moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:22pm
I hope to be getting on to this when I can clear the backlog of orders on due to this damn COVID.
I will let you all know as soon as possible :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556>
  Share Topic