FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

5V 3A PSU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 56>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by jwatson jwatson wrote:

The use of an XLR connector for power in an audio system just seems like a connection accident waiting to happen... 

There were mains rated XLRs and they look like this . . .

Image courtesy of Canford Audio

However, it looks like these have been outlawed and are no longer manufactured.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:54pm
Maybe I had missed the point on the XLR I had viewed and presumed it was the same type of socket as from Graham's psu but that is a Din plug I believe?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:08pm
It is easy for us to expect and assume GSP's high standards of construction will be to the same standard elsewhere. Best to check things!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:15pm
The PSU1 DIN socket is on the low voltage DC output. This is OK. If it were on the mains input side we would be guilty of gross negligence!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 8:39pm
Yes as with the XLR on the 'other' product - the mains facing socket is an IEC.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:55am
James was talking about XLRs used as mains connectors and I illustrated the type which are mains rated, but these have probably been withdrawn over safety concerns, or legislation.

Fully insulated connectors are safer from an electric shock perspective, but plastics will melt and then can cause fires if over stressed.

Power supplies should never be covered or "insulated" with extraneous items which could cause them to overheat. They rely on air being in contact with them to dissipate heat, and on hot days this is more important than ever. We advise not to place a PSU1 on carpet as the pile can contact the base of the case which prevents air flow and results in a loss of cooling.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 12:58pm
I must admit I do quite like Graham's tower block arrangement for multiple PSUs and whilst I couldn't accommodate one maybe that is something you could add to your sales catalogue?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 56>
  Share Topic