FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

5V 3A PSU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 56>
Author
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 1:19pm
Hello Graham,

I was actually referring to the use of an XLR for the DC connection (but seem to have pushed us off  topic in doing so... apologies for that) .  While I'd agree that there is little doubt that an XLR connector is quite suitable electrically in a low voltage / current application, I'm just not sure that it's the most appropriate choice in an environment in which they’re widely used for audio. I've spent many years round the back of equipment racks in radio stations around the world (including the BBC) and have never seen an XLR used for anything else but audio.  I'm currently engaged in the design of military systems in which all connectors are keyed (i.e. ludicrously expensive) to prevent accidental connections.  To see an XLR used for power just looks wrong...

Kind regards

James
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 2:06pm
I agree though have never seen any with 240v fed through them.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:08pm
I assume you mean a three pin XLR? What does XLR refer to? Ground Left Right? Well, pin 1 is always ground. But today it is almost invariably used for balanced audio (ground +phase -phase) or DMX (ground -phase +phase).

So is the use of a 5-pin Neutrik plug and socket for DC power wrong? Or a 4 pin mini "XLR"? If so, I am also in the wrong.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 1:33pm
Hello Graham,

I was specifically referring to the 3-pin XLR seen on the website in the post that kicked off this sub-thread.  This appears at one end of a cable assembly with a DC Power plug at the other.  There’s nothing electrically wrong with this it just seems an unusual choice in a system that uses the same type of  connector for balanced audio.  

DINs have always been a free for all in terms of application / pinning.  The last time I came across one was on a site a few weeks ago on some older equipment where it was used for RS232 remote control.  Previously I’ve only seen them used for audio interfaces on commercial equipment, generally with vendor specific pinning.

Wikipedia notes that 3-pin XLRs are used for power connections so if it helps kill this sub-thread off I’m happy to withdraw my original comment (but they still wouldn’t be my first choice :-) )

Kind regards.

James
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 1:39pm
I agree that it doesn't seem right using 3-pin XLRs for DC power. It's something I wouldn't do. When I use 5 pin or 4 pin mini "XLRs" for power I always use them counter convention - outputs are usually on pins - inputs are sockets. I use them the other way round, and it makes sense to do so because "inline" sockets aren't easy to short out.

Edited by Graham Slee - 25 Jun 2017 at 1:40pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:38pm
Initial test results imminent!
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:43pm
Clap I await with interest...
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 56>
  Share Topic