FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

5V 3A PSU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 56>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:54am
Thermal fuses are allowed, and we now use the resetable type in the PSU1 transformer primary, but it was originally designed with a fuse and to change its rating now would involve it being retested at a cost of £10,000 minimum. It's a bit like a stranger inviting himself into your business and deciding he's profit sharing with you, except that in my case, and the addition of recurring fees, it would be something like 1000%. I think it is called bleeding you dry.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:49am
One might ask how they justify testing costs of £10,000 and how even the "larger" UK manufacturers cope with such a cost. Or perhaps they don't?

Curious as ever,
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:26pm
I am on the mailing list for a Cumbrian Accessories supplier and note in their latest catalogue they have a new multi-voltage, apparently universal power supply.

There are many brands incl GSP in the compatibility list.

It is relatively large and aroun £500 from memory, plus cables I suspect.

Looks like the new power supply has some competition, albeit at a price and size!
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

I am on the mailing list for a Cumbrian Accessories supplier and note in their latest catalogue they have a new multi-voltage, apparently universal power supply.

There are many brands incl GSP in the compatibility list.

It is relatively large and aroun £500 from memory, plus cables I suspect.

Looks like the new power supply has some competition, albeit at a price and size!

It's SMPS, and the likelihood is that it causes more power problems than it allegedly cures.

peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 9:33am
Not that it is any comfort but 'testing' costs are a fact of life for designers and manufacturers. I used to design in the gas industry and it was very galling to pay for the privilege of your design being tested by those who generally knew less about the subject that you did!
I am afraid it is the price that is paid in an attempt to stop the cowboys and the opportunists, in the name of safety. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the criminals putting people at risk.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 1:14pm
The use of an XLR connector for power in an audio system just seems like a connection accident waiting to happen... 
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by peterb peterb wrote:

I am afraid it is the price that is paid in an attempt to stop the cowboys and the opportunists, in the name of safety. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the criminals putting people at risk.

You will never stop the cowboys, opportunists and "crminals" in the hi-fi industry. There are too many people unwittingly supporting them by buying their products.

A few years ago I was told of a product in which the mains (live and neutral) was applied to a board where the spacing between solder pads was only suitable for signal level voltages. The designer obviously had no knowledge of creepage and clearance distances as required for the safety of the user or for the building in which it would be used (perhaps that could strike a chord with recent events?).

This designer and his company had a cult following and was definitely making good money out of his poor knowledge of customer safety.

But that seems to be the accepted practice these days. It is by luck alone that injury or worse does not happen with most of these products.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 56>
  Share Topic