FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1st impressions Solo ULD trial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:47pm
I can be at it tweaking a product by increments for months before I'm happy with it, and that's because all kinds of things make a difference. Tweaking distortion products is what others think they have to do, because they all follow the trend.

What does make a difference is stability (phase and gain margins) and trying to make any negative feedback as 180 degrees as it can be, especially in the ears most sensitive region (mids).

Older valve circuits do the 180 degree thing, and solid-state can also, but a designer must first understand why, be able to acknowledge it, and know how it's done. But instead we often end up with a "follow the bear" attitude where "designers" go in for 'name dropping', the use of 'forum favourites' (again "follow the bear") such as the LME49720 opamp, but take a look at fig. 104 - 180 degrees has no chance. But the customer also follows. That's their loss.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:53pm
Not every manufacturer lets you try out their stuff on appro (in fact I haven't come across one other one) the way GS lets us so generously.  And it's not so easy to visit factories/showrooms that are relatively far from home.  Around the web I keep reading about people with 5 or 6 different kinds of headphone plus maybe a few different amps.  I think I'm being a bit extravagant hanging on to my old 650 while I have the 700.  I go to experts who know about a subject that I don't know anything about for advice.  The music I play sounds nothing coming from the pc alone but what brings it to life and makes it sing and dance and glow is the Bitzie.  Sometimes I convince myself adding the Solo makes a difference, and sometimes I can't.

When I earned my living practising psychiatry I used to do a lot of hypnosis, so I'm well aware of the power of human suggestibility, including the tricks self-suggestion can play.

Not sure if I'm being politely asked to shut up Wink  Or maybe I should feel guilty and apologise if inadvertently I've hit some sensitive spot.  I certainly didn't intend to and I'm sorry if I have.

All best
Brian

Voyager 2009, Bitzie+Lautus cable 2013, Sennheiser HD700 & 650, Yamaha Clavinova
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:59pm
I'm lost.  Totally lost! Confused
Voyager 2009, Bitzie+Lautus cable 2013, Sennheiser HD700 & 650, Yamaha Clavinova
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by gbr2004uk gbr2004uk wrote:

Not sure if I'm being politely asked to shut up Wink  Or maybe I should feel guilty and apologise if inadvertently I've hit some sensitive spot.  I certainly didn't intend to and I'm sorry if I have.

Not at all! Never!

Just illustrating the many factors which lead to how things sound.

And sorry I lost you here. It's just that there is a lot more to it than what the marketing men want you to believe, and the real engineer gets really brassed off by them.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:34pm
Graham is easy to misunderstand but he means well. He has to rant sometimes to vent his frustration with the pretensions of the hi-fi industry.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by gbr2004uk gbr2004uk wrote:

I'm lost.  Totally lost! Confused

One thing I’ve learned on this forum is that the overwhelming advice given is to trust your own ears. You’re not buying a product to play other people, but to yourself. If you’re happy, which I suppose means that it makes your musical experience more involving, regardless of the reason, then it’s money well spent.

I agree with the advice to put the ULDE in your system and leave it there for a week, then swap back to the Bitzie. If you miss the ULDE you have your answer.

This search for satisfaction is terrific, isn’t it? I’ve not read a Hi-Fi mag or visited a shop since my system arrived where it is now. The Slee electronics I own are a great deal to do with that.
Music!!!
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
gbr2004uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbr2004uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 1:20pm
Thanks Graham! Smile  My maths/physics are pretty well oxidized now!
Best
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic