FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 345>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 8:21pm
Thanks Graham for navigating the bureaucratic seas of poo.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Thanks Graham for navigating the bureaucratic seas of poo.

LOL

Well, since 2015 there have been a number of updates and deletions, and the set of standards I had are by now not acceptable for any new product. Therefore I have had to buy all the relevant up to date, and newly introduced standards.

So far, that's 55032, 55035, 61000-4-2, 62386-1, plus three others that turned out to be only partially helpful, and by BSi pricing I'd have spent near on two grand!

I estimate that by buying from the Estonian Centre For Standardisation it has cost me around £200.

Additional costs were one ream of 90gsm paper and a number of ring binders, plus toner.

But, if I didn't do it, and put the requirements into action, I couldn't legally sell the amplifier or its component kit.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:15am
Since I was a lad, the quick test to find if a transistor stage was working was to poke your finger on its base or something connected to its base.

Also, when I was a lad, they'd invented nylon and polymers and such and were mixing fibres to make textiles wear longer.

So we had static electricity in us, and touched transistor bases of working amplifiers and everything was hunky dory.

And then, since 1995, the EU (which was planned by Adolf Hitler's economic minister during WWII - oh yes it was) decided that the input must be tested by a 600 nano-coulomb discharge with period 60ns, producing 10 amps.

Yes, 10 amps is what our charged bodies were discharging into the base of those transistor stages. And if you believe that!...

But you better believe it, because that's the test.

IEC 61000-4-2
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:25am
Now, I reckon Estonia knows one or two things about the EU that this readership don't. So I guess they're not into the spirit of things, being right in the firing line between Russia and Germany, and knowing from past experience that those two countries conducted dodgy deals behind the scenes. So, perhaps that's why they sell "secrets" on the cheap?!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:39am
The input stage is a BC337 transistor whose base can take 200mA max. in the positive direction.

The time constant of 60ns needs expanding such that 10 amps becomes 0.2 amps, so that's an extension of 10/0.2 = 50.

The discharge resistor of the ESD gun is 330 ohms, so 50 * 330 = 16.5k!!!

My experience's gut feeling says that's a big base series resistor. Perhaps up to 4k7, but 16k5?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 10:23am
Now, if we use a BD139...

I base max. = 0.5 amps.

Then (0.5/0.2) * 16k5 = 6k6. 6k8 nearest value.

But it will need more compensation because it has a wider base and that increases its capacitance. To what? Datasheets never give a straight answer.

Neither do transistor SPICE subcircuits (models)!!!

Models assume a particular use! The hFE is not going to be the same as in the model at 2.3mA!!!

So here we're down to guesswork simply because Walther Funk started the EU...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 11:30am
Funk LPF thickness

"Section 8.3.2. e) those contacts of connectors or other accessible parts that are ESD sensitive because of functional reasons... 

Rationale: Many connector ports are designed to handle high-frequency information, either analogue or digital, and therefore cannot be provided with sufficient overvoltage protection devices. In the case of analogue signals, bandpass filters may be a solution. Overvoltage protecting diodes have too much stray capacitance to be useful at the frequencies at which the EUT is designed to operate."

In the case of analogue signals, bandpass filters may be a solution.

Who wrote that sh*t?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 345>
  Share Topic