FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 798081
Author
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 9:25pm
I have a 70's Aiwa AX7600 that sounds good (to my ears) but the lack of remote control is a bug-bear. Not mentioning any names I'm in the process of DIYing a power amplifier based on a circuit design done by someone who hosts quite a big website with hi-fi related projects and articles. When I come to do a pre-amp the remote volume control is a definite must. Input selection and 'bypassable' tone controls can remain manual. If it wasn't for my liking of DIY I'd be buying more of your gear instead btw :-)
Aren't ears brilliant
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Telling it as it is

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:40am
Originally posted by JamesD JamesD wrote:

If it wasn't for my liking of DIY I'd be buying more of your gear instead btw :-)

I am quite passionate about DIY audio but understand that I don't have a following like some do. I keep away from contributing to DIY audio websites because I would feel uncomfortable talking in "a different language" to the regulars. I also realise some characters have godly positions and they and their disciples might not want me around. I once sent a friendly email to Doug Self but he never replied.

Even so, I'm quite happy to try and educate using the lessons I've learnt. It might be interesting to note that JLH was often criticised by "godly characters" through the letters pages of Wireless World, for his way of understanding. It seems like if you're not part of the club one has to die before becoming accepted...

In all my ramblings regarding trying to squeeze out of old configurations the sort of subjective performance I and customers here are used to, I have examined other factors to those which are accepted elsewhere. What I haven't done is to say the design is finished based on the occasional good measured results. From time to time I've felt like throwing in the towel simply because there is something today profoundly affecting the sound which I've never come across before. I'm sure there will be a solution but I don't know when.

I don't know if anyone here has read John Linsley Hood's Valve & Transistor Amplifier book, but the transistor power amplifier chapters are a depressing read: Not one single development in the years up to 1997 can come close to the valve sound according to JLH, and there have been numerous technical innovations to tackle the equally numerous problems he outlines. On the other hand, the two JLH circuits offered, which feature at least one of these problems, are hailed as being better.

I don't profess to have read every book on the subject but here are those I have read:

Audio Power Amplifier Design: Self
Small Signal Audio Design: Self
Electronics for Vinyl: Self
Designing Audio Power Amplifiers: Cordell
Valve & Transistor Amplifiers: Hood
Audio Electronics: Hood
Valve Amplifiers: Jones

...plus numerous magazine articles 1954 onwards by numerous authors, and commercial amplifier circuits, none of which present an answer to the difficulty I have been experiencing.

It would be nice to be able to move on because I have a few interesting ideas to share on the preamp section including a novel approach to remote control, as well as a box of 100 Alps motor pots gathering dust.

Not simple enough for Google-Bot to understand...
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:32am
Thanks for the information Graham. I'll carry on reading this thread with interest. 
Aren't ears brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 798081
  Share Topic