FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Pushing the boundaries

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 4:55am
Bruce, as you know, there is no euphoric moment at switch-on which seems to wet the pants of some manufacturers...

The way I test everything is to tell myself it sounds garbage and only when I have to strongly disagree with myself is the point where the job's done.

I am completely sure that most who are into hi-fi judge a product by how "technical" it sounds. And from what I hear at hi-fi shows it all seems to be about how much thunder there is in the bass, and how bright it will go in the treble (using a handful of records that fit the bill).

The same people scorn tone controls, but many of them buy amplifiers which are tonally massaged. How do I know? Well I thought it would be obvious: the Queen's Award for Industry based on the sheer amount of goods exported outside Britain went to a manufacturer who refused to publish specifications; and when Stereophile discovered its extremely challenged high frequency response coupled with its weedy output they called it a stroke of genius!

I once turned down an install because the project leader insisted on the system having a steep cut-off at 8kHz! I do have quite a few musician type friends (John C being the nearest) who were quite shocked about that one.
Not simple enough for Google-Bot to understand...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Pushing the boundaries

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 5:01am
And here's how contrived it gets...

Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

...and when Stereophile discovered its extremely challenged high frequency response coupled with its weedy output they called it a stroke of genius!

But I remember Michael Fremer of the same magazine slamming Bose, saying "no highs, no lows, that's Bose".

It just goes to illustrate what I mean about the hi-fi press.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Pushing the boundaries

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 5:20am
Also I guess it all depends on how well connected you are, and seeing fans boost such people up on Wikipedia, you also find out the family lineage. I'm not suggesting for one moment that our great monarch or her parliament are corrupt, just that some are well-connected!!!

Now, as for me, being from up-north, the son of a coal mine worker, not even having a Cambridge or London Polytechnic education, so not belonging to the club, all I do is donate to Jimmy Wale's website...

More fool me.

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 7:40am
Marketing Graham, never been a fan and responsible for many of the worlds consumer ills.

Bose appears to be held as a pinnacle product by some of our best friends too something I could never understand as far back as the 70s hifi shows in which it appeared an imposter.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 10:15am
Oh one other thing you forgot at shows other than bass and treble used to be HOW LOUD DO THEY GO...!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536
  Share Topic