FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 345>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 4:25pm
PMC don't do LS3/5s - their thing is transmission lines.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 7:29pm
whilst I never warmed to the LS3/5as whenever I heard them at 70/80 shows they are well regarded for studio purposes and while they have had various incarnations to the best of my knowledge PMC aren’t one of them.

Whilst I do have reservations over the early bass roll off they certainly haven’t prevented Graham from producing phono stages with excellent overall qualities including fine bass qualities!

Edited by Richardl60 - 22 Jun 2019 at 10:27pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 8:15pm
To err is human.

Main set up? It is my main set up. I already put in around 10 hours a day with the music on. SWMBO would probably divorce me if I then started playing records for the remaining waking hours.

But I get your point.

I remember 'msphil' commenting with words to the effect "I don't know how you get the bass so right for floorstanders when you only have those little monitors". I replied along the lines of "it's down to experience", and actually it is.

I also have a pair of Harbeth M20 monitors which go way deeper on bass, but you have to drive them: 40W recommended! (That’s on peaks by the way).

Also you have to understand that I cannot mess about with frequency response, it has to be flat as a mill pond 20Hz - 20kHz at least (-0.5dB to -1dB), and is usually flat an extra octave either end (-3dB maybe).

How you then manipulate tonal qualities is down to a great number of other variables, which is learned through a lifetime's experience, and sometimes lessons are forgotten, but to err is human...

The voltage thing comes from research by Walt Jung and Richard Marsh and being able to assimilate it. But then again, if you go too far other factors creep in and are quite destructive.

It also depends on capacitor type: electrolytics are different to film caps in this respect.

Paralleling capacitors is OK if you know where it leads to. It depends on the overall impedance of the circuit or network. Often it can result in a different sound because you've worsened it, and that's because every capacitor has inductance and resistance (wire ends and PCB traces have inductance too), and their interaction has to be understood.

This article is about all I could find on a Google search, and even here there is confusion. One answer didn't take PCB trace inductance into consideration: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/320363/antiresonance-of-multiple-parallel-decoupling-capacitors-use-same-value-or-mult

Edited by Graham Slee - 22 Jun 2019 at 9:48pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:31pm
yes MSPhils comments were precisely what I was getting at....

I think I saw some reference to stacked LS3/5as but cant recall the suggested benefits.
DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 3:44am
Once again, I ask for forgiveness and understanding - I had completely forgotten that Mr Slee HAS Golden Ear's and also uses them[his LS3/5a's] AS his "listening reference"... I also can't believe some of the recording studio's and THEIR Reference monitors.. It's what you know, I suppose... I too listen to Studio Monitors as my every-day listen. They're also about 9 times the size of the 'to become' Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A. I wasn't having a go at the LS3/5a, I was thinking if "I had to use something as a Reference Monitor" I don't think it would be a small sized monitor. Since bitten by the large format speaker, I find it hard [but not impossible] to go to something smaller. 
 My real Question was about the Capacitor and - in crossover role - the "benefits" of using multiple capacitors (mindful of Voltage!) that can be obtained. Just hoping for some 'enlightenment' on the subject of the role they play in Filtering and sonic changes obtained with differing uses of the different types now available - but not forgetting Paper-in-oil types and 'their' sonic benefit... Or, have the masses been given a large dose of snake oil to remedy their constipation their ears suffer! I seek understanding, Not enemies. Yin Yang 

Edited by DogBox - 23 Jun 2019 at 3:46am
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 1:19pm
That you seek understanding is understood.

But being into active electronics (amplifiers, preamps etc.), I have little understanding of passive speaker crossovers and from what I've seen some describe it as a "black art".

Placing several capacitors in parallel however, causes upward and downward spikes, which are high in equivalent frequency, too high to be heard, and even too high for most tweeters to reproduce...

...but will represent an even more difficult load for any amplifier to drive right where the amplifier's negative feedback has run out. The "tail then wags the dog” and such spikes via negative feedback get into the amplifier's input, modulating and heterodyning the amplifier to produce different sounds.

If speaker designers were to audition their designs with a wide cross-section of amplifier designs then perhaps it would register?

I'm sure mainstream speaker manufacturers do so, but I'm sure the tinkerers don't because of limited resources, so beware of tinkering tweakers who might not have a clue as to where their actions lead.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

so beware of tinkering tweakers who might not have a clue as to where their actions lead.

This is the best bit of audio advice I've heard in ages.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 345>
  Share Topic