FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 345>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

leaving the output stage current setting to the constructor to suit their own supply voltage.
You mean without any visual guidance? I’ve just set the meters at 21 and left them (very stable); should I be playing around?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

You mean without any visual guidance? I’ve just set the meters at 21 and left them (very stable); should I be playing around?

On a purely DIY version, that is on one where the meters have been ditched, the project would explain how you measure the current using a multimeter which you simply set to what it should be.

Then assuming your mains voltage stays around the same, the current will remain around the same, and the amplifier would sound OK all the time.

But, if you then took it to somewhere in continental Europe, the current would be too low, and it might not sound so good. But being the DIY man who constructed it, you would remove the lid, attach your multimeter, and readjust the current.

That is a purely DIY amplifier.

What you have at present is an amplifier that has been set up so the user can adjust it to the optimum current, which is 20 on the meters (or 21, or 19, but 20 on average).

If you took it to continental Europe, you would notice that it doesn't reach 20 (or 21, or 19, but 20 on average).

This is because the mains voltage there, is around 220V.

Not the 240V or thereabouts used in the UK (normally).

That's why it has the little blue adjusters and the meters to aid you.

But! And it has happened. No names no pack drill, but one amp has been set much higher, and is now damaged.

So, if it can happen once, it can happen a number of times, so best to forget trying to make these amps for the everyday customer.

I will try and set this out in greater detail shortly.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 6:45pm
Thanks for that Graham, I do think it’s a shame that it’ll be DIY only, but if that’s the way it has to be …
Ifor
=====
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Thanks for that Graham, I do think it’s a shame that it’ll be DIY only, but if that’s the way it has to be …

They can be "made to measure" so to speak.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 6:54pm
Fair enough Graham.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 7:40pm
Ifor
=====
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:54pm
I heard the ' Nostalgia transistor'' amp through a Philips Pro mech CD player to DAC with Electronic Pre amp to control volume but it push out 3.2 Volt at factory setting, to output my Focal Aria 936. 

With what was sold to me as dedicated Mid/High accentuated Interconnect and speaker cable, provided solid but clear instrumental bass tone and darling Alison Moyet Vocals were as natural and captivating and gripping as anything I have ever heard. I deal with Mid Price Budget equipment in my Open lounge but very often have to listen to friends audio " ego" satisfying equipment at High end prices but this Nostalgia tick the right boxes for me ....

Admittedly, between the speakers  2 and half metres space, there is silence until an instrument is introduced in the mix to provide a clear left and right channel and Alison Moyet is felt intimately and distinctly from one end speaker until another instrument overtake her distinct lush vocals and bliss natural tone to captivate the very soul of the listener. 

However,  it  is long long days since I played with Bass and Treble adjustments and watch little diodes lights move left and right and a screw driver in hand is the last thing when two bright lit large Voltometer is swinging left and right but mostly set to extreme right to cause concern. And yes the Amp gets hot very hot if you fiddle with the adjustment and I was tempted ....

This amp is very very much worth repackaging in a DAK as Graham suggested and watch egoeccentric audio fan list their 'must have''.
But, the source equipment must match the amplifier specifications and characteristic but get the Voltmeter dead on the 20 eye and You have an Audiophile Kit to the Highest Order. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 345>
  Share Topic