FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

1970s Design Indulgence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 6:15am
The alchemy of solid-state

My career direction had to go solid-state because tubes were firmly on their way out at the time.

A tube can be built in a normal room. Except for the vacuum forming "burn-off" stage, it's all done with temperatures the average person can comprehend, not so with transistor formation. Temperature control of the chemical process is critical, and at furnace heat, or you don't get a transistor.

Perseverance in perfecting transistors (hahaha) has led to making chemical structures imitate the mechanical and make miraculous atomic level machines. Excuse my simplicity of explanation.

Mankind (sorry, not PC). Humankind can now turn sand into Femto machines and have thus achieved success in alchemy. They may not yet be able to turn lead into gold, but they can turn silicon group chemistry (of which lead belongs) into loadsamoney, which is close enough.

Did all this need to happen to escape the planet? Or was it just so teenagers were able to bop to pop?

In my humble opinion, the transistor might be likened to the tower of Babylon. "OK, if we can't build a tower, we'll build a spacecraft." I am convinced the transistor and all that's followed is a case of post-flood madness!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:47pm
I associate alchemy to the ' magic wizards' of chemical concoctions without a clear structure of thought or design. The development of transistors has led to a more than quantum leap into the heights of the celestial mindset. It has enpowered engineers and designers to reach the very nature of 'creation' and robotics and electronics and software and hardware as if to say ''all is possible''. Disregard any protocole or ethics and the ''purpose' justify the means.                
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:50pm
We have bass!

How long will it last?

t = (1 / 2pi f) cos-1 (voltage - ripple voltage/ voltage) {use radians!}

This equation tells us the current pulse width of the rectifier diode conduction angle, which happens 100 times a second and is applied to a power supply's smoother capacitors.

If we do not use any power, the rectifier doesn't switch. There will always be leakage, though, and so the rectifier will always switch. The ripple voltage produced will be tiny, and the equation tells us the current's pulse width.

It tells us that the smaller the current being drawn, the narrower the pulse of current is.

If the ripple voltage is 100mV and the voltage 70 volts, the pulse width is 170uS, appearing every 10mS. Translated into frequency, we have a massively asymmetrical 5800Hz.

Consuming full power, assuming 10,000uF of smoothing, the current is 2.5 amps, and from V = IT/C, we get 2.5 volts of ripple.

From the above equation, the current pulse is 860uS per 10mS, or a massively asymmetrical 1160Hz.

Simply switched-on and idling, the smoother capacitors, designed for 100Hz ripple current, have this asymmetrical mid-audio frequency current pulse. When in use at domestic listening levels, the frequency will not differ much because there isn't much current demand.

Intuitively, we should see that the smoothers must draw the inverse ratio in current multiplication x load current. Therefore, even if the load current is tiny, the charge current might be 100 times greater. If the quiescent load of two amplifiers (a stereo pair) was 100mA, what is the asymmetrical pulse frequency, and what is the current in the pulse?

Through V(ripple)  = 0.1 x 0.01 / 0.01 we find it is 100mV, which conveniently coincides with the earlier calculation which gave 5800Hz.

The current required is 0.01 x 5800 = 58 times 100mA = 5.8 amps. What the capacitor sees is nothing for 98.3mS, and then 5.8 amps for 170uS.

Show me an electrolytic capacitor designed for such conditions, and I will build a conventional transformer supply. But it might not just be the capacitor. What about the reaction inside the transformer?

The workings in a switched-mode power supply must work similarly by the laws of physics, so are we merely kicking the can down the road? In some ways, we are.

Although we can obtain an SMPS which produces a stable output voltage from zero current to maximum, the SMPS will emit noise below a certain load current, which the above equations have hopefully explained.

To reiterate, at low load-current charge pulses get shorter, but the charge current is still significant. The shorter pulses relative to a typical SMPS operating frequency of 100kHz, make them considerably higher than 100kHz. The smoothing capacitors of an SMPS being rated for 100kHz ripple will be working outside their rating, and the massively asymmetrical waveform sets up a reaction in the SMPS transformer. The harmonics produced result in high-frequency mechanical vibration.

By placing a load on the SMPS output, the noise reduces, and at roughly 10% of its power rating, audibility ceases. It is wasteful of power, but you don't get anything for nothing.

Going back to the conventional power supply, we can see that the smoothing capacitors get less of a massively asymmetrical waveform by increasing the load. On full-load, the capacitors might fare better. A class-A amplifier can be considered a full load, and so a class-A amplifier might not suffer this problem. I am sure this is a contributing factor to class-A sound. Having said that, I must warn that pure class-A is not true class-A but high biased class-AB, and its power supply will suffer to a similar degree.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 8:28pm
Forever fannying about to make a perfectly good amplifier, and all its variations since, work with a conventional power supply, eroded its power output. It was down to 30WPC due to the wasted power in filtering the inevitable trash a perfectly good set of capacitors were being turned into.

On switched-mode, it's now back to 50 watts and then some.

Here are some measurements of the lash-up complete with rats-nest modifications, altogether a less than satisfactory layout.

max output 55WPC at 1% THD 1kHz

max output 51WPC at 0.1% THD 1kHz

40WPC at 0.1% THD 5Hz - 50kHz

S/N 78dB Awtd (-106dB at output)

THD at 1WPC, 0.025% at 1kHz, 0.06% at 20kHz
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:34pm
Here is the switched-mode power supply as it stands at present.

series connected 72 volt smps power supply
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 7:06am
Today's amplifiers, which feature current sources and sinks and 30dB loop-gain at 20kHz, might disguise the result of the abuse on reservoir capacitors by high energy rectifier spikes. I say it might because I never had the spare cash to try one. I can only go on mathematical modeling, which is supported by subjective listening to the designs I've tried. It isn't hard to hear the difference either!

ripple current waveforms

I omitted to add this drawing a few posts ago. The illustrations indicate the ripple current (not to scale) found by the formulas.

V ripple = I load x T rectified mains / C reservoir capacitance (1)

T pulse = 1 / 2pi F mains frequency x cos-1 (V - V ripple / V) (2)

And the load current multiplied by the "mark-space" ratio of the pulse to rectified mains frequency timing.

I am sure vehicle technicians of a certain age will understand the above, as it's not much different from the old contact breaker and the design of the cam dwell angle. The inductance the contact breaker switches being the ignition coil primary. Those will also know the radio interference this causes. The suppressor capacitor clipped to the distributor's side, made so that it could be easily replaced because they failed after a matter of time.

Whereas electronic systems have replaced the old fashioned petrol engine ignition system, the traditional capacitor loaded transformer rectifier arrangement persists in "hi-fi," with some manufacturers offering a recap service, for reasons which by now might appear obvious.

Edited by Graham Slee - 17 Nov 2020 at 7:08am
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:05am
Graham Sir

Will it be an 'integrated'' or a 'Power dual mono design''. I keep reading but the issue of Pre amp OR not is important . Will it have a dedicated Turntable Phono OUTPUT. Mindful that music is now ''streamed' from many Music intranet or iNTERNET or network NAS and they add their own colouration.  

My 1985 British Design Aura Evolution II is an integrated with a better than average Phono amp module but inside the amp the sound is nowhere the 'Genera'. Pre Amp add or make a big difference to the eventual sound of the amp. Pre amp can define the sound ....Genera is testimony.  Perhaps  to add more acoustic analogue presence missing in digital music . 
i did not identify the right Forum column to post mine so felt this may catch your attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 345>
  Share Topic